Monday , January 20 2020

Emre Can ‘rules out January move to Manchester United’ out of respect for his old club Liverpool

Former Liverpool midfielder Emre Can ‘rules out January move to Manchester United’ out of respect to his old club – as Red Devils ‘turn their attentions to Ajax’s Donny van de Beek instead’

  • Emre Can joined Juventus in 2018 but has found opportunities hard to come by 
  • The former Liverpool midfielder is a player Manchester United have considered 
  • But Tuttosport say Can will not be making the move to Old Trafford in January 

Emre Can has ruled out a January transfer to Manchester United from Juventus out of respect for former club Liverpool, according to Tuttosport.

The Germany international joined Juventus in 2018 but has found opportunities hard to come by as the Serie A champions added Aaron Ramsey and Adrien Rabiot to their roster over the summer.

The 25-year-old former Liverpool midfielder therefore emerged as a target for United, with Juventus believed to be willing to sell him for around £25million.

Emre Can has reportedly ruled out leaving Juventus for Manchester United this January

Can spent four years at United's rivals Liverpool before joining the Serie A champions

Can spent four years at United’s rivals Liverpool before joining the Serie A champions

But the Italian media outlet Tuttosport claim that because of the rivalry between Liverpool and United, Can has decided to reject a move to Old Trafford.

However, there are a number of sides that are believed to be able to pay the right price to Juventus. 

It is claimed PSG remain interested in the Germany star, while Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund could look to take him back to his homeland.

And it is that rivalry that has seen the Germany international rule out a move to Old Trafford

And it is that rivalry that has seen the Germany international rule out a move to Old Trafford 

United are still desperate for midfield reinforcements though and were believed to be considering Can along with Newcastle United midfielder Sean Longstaff.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been left short of options after injury blows to Paul Pogba and Scott McTominay.

Pogba underwent surgery on an ankle problem this week while McTominay, who had impressed in his absence, is unlikely to return to action until April after suffering knee ligament damage over the festive period.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is still on the lookout for midfield reinforcements this month though

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is still on the lookout for midfield reinforcements this month though

The United hierarchy are therefore said to have switched their attentions from Can to Ajax midfielder Donny van de Beek. 

Sportsmail reported last month that United have weighed up a number of midfield options including Van de Beek, who was linked with Real Madrid in the summer, and Atletico Madrid’s Saul Niguez. 

The 22-year-old Holland international, who was a key figure in Ajax’s run to last season’s Champions League semi-finals and has scored eight goals in 26 games this season, is said to be valued at a figure in excess of £50million by the Dutch champions.

United are said to now have turned their attentions to Ajax midfielder Donny van de Beek

United are said to now have turned their attentions to Ajax midfielder Donny van de Beek