Pep Guardiola accepts he cannot influence Leroy Sane over his future at Manchester City with Bayern Munich targeting a summer move: ‘It is not my business… it’s not in my hands’
- Pep Guardiola says it is not his business to focus on Leroy Sane’s club future
- The German winger has 18 months left on his contract with Manchester City
- Bayern Munich are believed to be targeting a summer move for Sane
Pep Guardiola admitted Leroy Sane’s future at Manchester City is out of his hands as Bayern Munich gear up to reignite their interest next summer.
Sane was close to joining the Bundesliga champions last year but then suffered knee ligament damage during the Community Shield in August.
The winger, celebrating his 24th birthday today on Saturday, is closing in on a first-team return, while Bayern have ruled out a move this month. They will go back for Sane at the end of the season, however.
Leroy Sane’s future is up for debate at Manchester City with 18 months left on his contract
Pep Guardiola has said that it ‘is not in my hands’ when it comes to convincing him to stay
City had valued Sane at north of £130million, although he now only has 18 months left on his contract. Sane has so far rebuffed the club’s attempts to tie him down to a new deal.
Sportsmail revealed last year that Sane’s future at City was complicated by differing opinions within his family – including his mother and former representative, Regina Weber. Guardiola suggested those closest to him will still have a say.
‘Each player has his own family, desires, dreams, and above that I can’t do anything,’ Guardiola said. ‘They have dreams. ‘It’s a question for Leroy, his agents and the club. I’m not involved. It’s not in my hands. He knows what we believe.
‘What’s important now is he has to recover well. I want him back fit. His knee looks really good. After that it is not my business.
‘He’s a nice person. I was the guy who pushed the club and convinced him to come, even when he didn’t play regularly at Schalke. Three years ago is different to right now.’
Sane has not featured since the Community Shield when he sustained ligament damage
Sane has spent time recovering in Los Angeles before recently stepping up his return at the City Football Academy. The Germany international is not ready for Sunday’s game at Aston Villa.
Guardiola also confirmed that he has already discussed reshuffling his squad with sporting director Txiki Begiristain ahead of next season: ‘We spoke a little bit about this season and the positions we may have to reinforce for next season.’
Meanwhile, the City manager backed teenager Taylor Harwood-Bellis after Scunthorpe United striker Kevin van Veen accused the defender of gloating about money during an EFL Trophy match.
Van Veen claimed Harwood-Bellis had ‘cashed me up’ during City Under 21s’ defeat at Glanford Park, a suggestion the 17-year-old heavily refutes.
‘I know about it,’ Guardiola said. ‘Taylor said it was not true. I believe in the guy, that’s all.’
The 23-year-old is slowly coming back to fitness and Bayern Munich are set to try and sign him