Manchester United make Paul Pogba captain in attempt to convince wantaway star to stay at Old Trafford
- Manchester United begin the Premier League season against Leicester on Friday
- Wantaway midfielder Paul Pogba has been made captain by boss Jose Mourinho
- The France star wants to leave the club to join La Liga giants Barcelona
- But United insist the 25-year-old central midfielder is not for sale at any price
- Pogba could keep the captaincy when Antonio Valencia returns from injury
Chris Wheeler for MailOnline
Manchester United have made Paul Pogba captain in an attempt to convince him that his future lies at Old Trafford.
United have been stunned by Pogba’s desire to leave the club and join Barcelona this summer after his agent Mino Raiola struck a deal with the Catalan giants.
The club insist the 25-year-old Frenchman is not for sale at any price amid concerns that he has fallen out with Jose Mourinho.
Manchester United have made Paul Pogba captain in an attempt to convince him to stay
After Pogba agreed to face Leicester, Jose Mourinho responded by handing him the armband
The United boss upset the Pogba camp this summer by criticising the player’s form for United compared to his performances for France as they won the Word Cup in Russia this summer.
But after Pogba agreed to play for United against Leicester in Friday’s opening Premier League fixture at Old Trafford after just four days training, Mourinho responded by handing him the captain’s armband.
It will be the eighth time the midfielder has captained United and is a big vote of confidence in a player who has made it clear he wants to leave, and Pogba could keep the captaincy when Antonio Valencia returns from injury.
Whether it is enough to stop him and Raiola agitating for a move to Barcelona remains to be seen, but it is a sign of United’s desire to keep their £89million record signing at all costs.